The 2017 Human Capital and Economic Opportunity Global Working Group Summer Schools on Socioeconomic Inequality provide a state-of-the-art overview on the study of inequality and human flourishing. Participants will learn about the integration between psychological and sociological insights into the foundations of human behavior and conventional economic models. Through rigorous lectures students will be trained on various tools needed to study the issue of inequality.
During these intense programs, students attend lectures, engage in discussions with leading faculty from around the world, present their own research, and interact with peers from institutions across the globe.
"SSSI changed my perspective by providing a panoramic view of the different ways in which inequality matters and the most promising approaches in this area of research."—Martin Fiszbein, Economics, Brown University
"As empirical economists, we should find the economic meaning of what we study first and learn about the relevant contexts as deep as possible, and only then use or develop appropriate economic methods to study it. That’s what I learned from every lecturer."—Jingliang Lu, Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
"Part of the value of SSSI was the breadth of material covered. While I know portions of the inequality literature, exposure to how others are thinking about inequality was very valuable... My favorite part of SSSI was getting to meet peers from around the world who are thinking about the same research questions as me. Many people I have met I am sure I will continue to communicate with for years to come."—John Eric Humphries, The University of Chicago
Students are selected from a diverse, competitive applicant pool and represent many disciplines including: economics, public policy, sociology, social thought, and social work. Faculty are selected by the HCEO directors from economics, finance, statistics, and epidemiology.
To date, SSSI has been held in Chicago (2012, 2013, and 2015), Beijing (2013, 2014, and 2015) and Cambridge, UK (2014).
Upcoming Summer Schools
June 26–30, 2017, Summer School on Socioeconomic Inequality Guangzhou, Jinan University
August 7-11, 2017, Summer School on Socioeconomic Inequality Chicago, University of Chicago
Previous Summer Schools
- Summer School on Socioeconomic Inequality 2016, Bonn
- Fourth Summer School on Socioeconomic Inequality 2016, Chicago
- Summer School on Socioeconomic Inequality 2016, Guangzhou
- Third Summer School on Socioeconomic Inequality 2015, Chicago
- Third Summer School on Socioeconomic Inequality 2015, Beijing
- Second Summer School on Socioeconomic Inequality 2014, Beijing
- Summer School on Social Economics 2014, Cambridge
- Second Summer School on Socioeconomic Inequality 2013, Chicago
- First Summer School on Socieoeconomic Inequality 2013, Beijing
- First Summer School on Socioeconomic Inequality 2012, Chicago